Dear Buggs:

My club organizes trips to a remote river to fish for steelhead using use
fixed wing aircraft and helicopters to get there. It is not a cheap trip and
lasts for a week, so you can imaging  that prior to going on one of these
jaunts, one tinkers and prepares one's tackle extensively.  On one such
trip, I obtained a new spey line which I duly loaded on my reel. Four of us
flew in and set up camp. Having done so, we started fishing. On the second
day, I hooked a steelhead which immediately ran downstream.  As the line to
backing knot left the tip guide of my spey rod, and started to follow the
fly line downstream, about 8 feet of the backing fell back. It was
disconnected from the fly line.  I felt sure that I had connected it
properly, but later realized that I had done a temporary overhand knot to
secure the backing to the fly line in order to gage the amount of backing
required to fill that reel and in the excitement of the preparation I had
forgotten to go back and complete a proper join.

About two or three days later, one of our party of four could see a yellow
line (RIO) streaming back in the river some distance downstream of where I
hooked the fish. With some difficulty, he waded in as far as he could and
with the help of a long branch, hooked up the line and retrieved it complete
with the fly.

Now the difficult question is "what kind of award do I get for this?"

Neville (Nev) Gosling
Greater Vancouver,
B.C. Canada

  _____