I think we are all agreed that foreign production is what has killed fly
prices -- in regards to making any money tying flies.

I recently was able to get some flies from a major manufacturer at
Distributor's cost.  Minimum purchase was a dozen flies.

The fly pictured (will post the danged photo when I find the danged card
reader) is a six-inch long streamer meant for Dolly Varden or Bull Trout,
though any predator big fish would eat these.

Materials:
Silver cone head with inset red acrylic dome eyes
Black tip-dyed magnum rabbit strip in Olive
Black magnum rabbit strip
Pearl saltwater flashabou, four strips
Red Angel Hair
Trailer tied stinger hook

Here is the pricing:
Distributor:  $.73 each
Wholesale: $1.48 each

In comparison, the distributor's price on an Adams Parachute is $.42.

The flies are produced in Indonesia, and are well-tied, IMO.

Incredible thing about the prices, is that even at $.73, both the tier and
brand name company still make a profit.

That pricing has to be really disheartening to anyone thinking of making
money tying flies.

While there is a small market for specialty or collectors' flies, tying
anything available at a fly shop is a formula for financial failure.

Wes Wada
Bend, Oregon