Many US procurers of foreign tied flies will pay royalties to US designers of
patterns if they allow them the tying rights.  Tricky business.  Almost every
designer-fly in the flyshop's boxes these day's have some-one's name in front
of it.

Rainey Riding is one of those that took it all overseas.  Last time I talked to
her at her booth in Denver, she had moved overseas to live.  Some of the
overseas distributors bring their tying groups to the shows, and I was able to
meet a few them, though few speak fluent English.  They tie quickly and
accurately, have pride in their work, and work for what we would consider
peanuts.  But in their countries they are 'better off' than the masses.  They
are very pragmatic, and had a hard time grasping the value of my Fantasy Flies
(especially the humerous aspects), until I told them what I got for them.  Then
it was practical for them, as I made on one fly what they made in a month.

At one show, a company brought in about 6 or so Taiwanese girl tiers, all in
their late teens and early 20's, and all dressed in their traditional colorful
sarongs(?).  They were behind the booths demo-tying, so I went around and
watched them for an hour or so.  One was tying midge patterns on #32 Tiemco
hooks, so I asked her if she would like to see a 'small fly'.  She looked at me
funny and spoke enough English to understand and with hand gestures I explained
that I had a real small fly to show her.  I took out a #32 Mustad royal
Coachman and set it inside the bend of a #32 Tiemco that she had out on the
table.  Her look said it all- she was stunned.  She had never seen a #32 Mustad
before.  She was so cute that my micro-fly found a new owner, LOL.  The
Taiwanese director came over and they started examining the fly while speaking
Taiwanese and using a lot of gestures.  He then tried to take the fly and she
wouldn't have none of that.  LOL

One of the earliest designer-flies that I can remember was Dave's Hopper.
Before that, the fly had it's own name, not the tier's name.  Maybe someone can
remember other flies before that, that were named for the designer.  I've been
told about, and been victim, to pattern-robbing practices, even in the earliest
days of designer-flies.