From: Peter Gramp <pete.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VFB] Setting Quil Wing Video
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Date: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 3:16 PM

Hi Tony (and the VFB list) -
  I have done some (not much, with the Thanksgiving holiday and travel) with
the bamboo rods, I'll send an email off-list for that once I can get pictures
going for the progress.
  As for the quill wings, I used to try doing it as I saw Davie McPhail do
it... hard to explain, but essentially tie them in with the quill butts facing
the hook eye, then stand the wings up, and fold the butt ends of the quills
back on either side of the uprighted wings, to make a sort of collar/ post
around the base of the quill wings, made of the butt ends of the quills.  I'll
try to locate the youtube video of it...  here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIRPkUzk6IM and I just realized it is in the
comments of Tim's video LOL  Anyhow, I always used to try to do my quill wings
the way Davie does in that video... and they almost always split and turned
into a feather-puff of frayed and unmarried fibers.  I've already had better
results after just a few tries of Tim's method, so maybe Davie's way just
wasn't for me.  Who knows?  I need to practice it more, but I've got all winter
to catch up on my tying practice :)
Hope all is well,
-Pete