I believe mjpeg tools will do it foryou. mjpeg.sourceforge.net YOu can even use it with dvdauthor and dvdrecord or growisofs with cdrecord to have your PVR write dvd on-the-fly too with mpeg2 encoding and compression (which IMHO is better than divx or mpeg4 since mpeg4 is based-on mpeg1).

-Leo

Trevor Boicey wrote:

Dag Bakke wrote:

It has often been stated that great utilities should do exactly one thing, and do that very well. Do you know any great utilities for recording from
a V4L(2) device? Please do not hesitate to tell me if it already exists.

The closest I can think is ffmpeg.

It will do mpeg-4 in real time with sync, playable easily with common tools (mplayer, or Windows Media Player in windows)

It's not that hard to install, I think it's almost self contained. Give it a whirl.