I'd like to have a piece of software that:
- reads audio and video and - compress the input to mp3/mpeg-4 while keeping audio and video in sync.
- will require one preinstalled audio and video codec and a v4l2-device.
- does de-interlacing
- has built-in defaults for all options.
- is installed with './configure; make install'
- creates content which is viewable with common software

Have you tried Helix DNA Producer? (http://www.helixcommunity.org)
It is the best I know of. It has a very complete PDF manual, it has been recently open sourced and it is a solid piece of software with many years of existence. Presently, it doesn't have an MPEG-4 plugin, but it produces RealVideo, RealAudio, Ogg Vorbis, and MP3.
If you get the binaries, it is very easy to install because it doesn't have dependency problems.

For RealVideo there are players for a wider range of operating systems than MPEG-4 players. Also more user friendly to install.

Joao