Hi,

thankls for your replies. I have tested mencoder and mythtv in the meantime and would like to tell about my experiences.

mencoder:

Installing mencoder was easy sine I could use binary packeges I found on planet ccrma. In combination with apt-get for rpm installing was nearly one mouse click.

After installation I played with the parameter and managed to get my first recording done. However I had to reduce the capture resolution below 320x240 to prevents dropped frames. Recording sound works too.

A resolution of under 320x240 is way to small for watching TV.

mythtv:

Installing mythtv required translation the package. After I figured out I had to change the architecture to i586 mythtv was ready to run.

When trying to fill the db, xmltv complained about unknown channels (in Germany). Using xawtv I was able to set a channel.

The first start of mythtv displayed the TV program, but with a lot of dropouts. On the second start no window appeared at all. The backend however is writing data in the ringbuffer.

When trying to start a scheduled recording in the frontend I get an floating point error.

This looks like what I experienced with mencoder: my system is too slow.

I haven't tested NVREC yet, since John talked about good results on his k6.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]