--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Cook (Jeeper One TV)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I ranted on this on my podcast earlier today (which BTW will NOT have
> the open & close I normally attach to each show) and an idea hit me
> that if they were to charge a ONE-TIME flat fee $5 (or whatever the
> minilum value of a Money Order is nowadays) per track download
> REGARDLESS OF USE, they'd make a fuckin' mint.
>
> I mean, think of it this way, how many times do you have to pay for a
> gallon of milk at the grocery store before they actually consider it
> yours to leave with?  Answer - ONCE - At the checkout counter.  When
> is the next time you pay for milk?  Answer - WHEN YOU GET ANOTHER
> GALLON.  I've NEVER seen ANY business charge me for something more
than once.

But the milk is a physical thing. You consume it, and it's gone. Music
used as branding in a piece of media that can be played over, and
over, and over and seen/heard by millions of people is different than
a gallon of milk a few people will drink.

Have you ever *bought* music, and by bought, I mean bought the full
rights to any music to do as you please? Most times you are licensing
it. CD's you buy at the store? You don't own those, you don't have the
right to do whatever you want with it. You're just paying for the
rights to do with it what the record companies will allow you to do
with it.

You've never paid for anything more than once? What about seeing a
movie in a theater more than once, or a band perform more than once.

I understand your point, but how would you feel if you sold me
unlimited rights to one of your podcasts and I then made millions of
dollars off of it?

Pete

Individual Fireant