I just wanted to add one clarification ... un-themed "real life" content is often very "popular" in main stream media ...

... first of all start with sitcoms (which are most traditionally about the everyday lives of white males, though now often about other ethnic/gender groups), but all about someone's life and they are interesting because people CAN relate to their lives

... there is also, of course, all the "reality" TV stuff

... there are tons of movies that are variations on lives, not around some theme

... in fact, when I think about it, most of the "theme" shows on TV are sort of obscure and less popular, like stuff on the cooking or building stuff or music (backpacking or grand rapids) or whatever

... now that I think about it, the most popular, are the most entertaining and often (maybe usually) some variation on people's day to day lives ...

... so, I'm not sure where this idea about "themed" content being so related to popularity comes from (in fact, the whole long tale idea is about themes that are not interesting to most people)

... of course, how any of this is relevant to the original discussion, lord knows, but I've gone to the trouble to type all this, so I feel obligated to push send, so what the hell

... the blabbering biased ramblings of Richard, star of the RichardShow, "A Narcisistic Themeless Vlog About the Ordinary Life of a White Male from the Midwest" (wow a new Theme! Branding! :) ...

On 10/27/05, LeanBackVids.com <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com , Josh Leo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I tell you
> that if i had themed content specifically centered around Grand Rapids,
> Backpacking, Geocaching, or folk music, I would not be appealing to the
> majority of the internet crowd that makes up our viewership. Sure I
would
> bring in all the people who live in GR , or those online
backpackers, but
> the rest of the tech-savy people would be bored because I am not talking
> about T&A or iPods...

First of all, the future of RSS-video consumers is not limited to
tech-savvy people, and quality production is a must.  The "shaky cam"
is a tough one to watch.

Your vlog's feed had 248 readers yesterday, which makes you #9 on the
FeedBurner list.  I'd bet there are more (potential) readers out there
for Grand Rapids, backpacking, geocaching, or folk music.

There are over 200,000 people living in GR (not including surrounding
area), and the other topics you mention are not even limited to a
geographic audience.

The technology does need to catch up, but the topics you mentioned
have a better chance of appealing to the masses.

Hypothetically speaking- if you had 5,000 niche readers (let alone
50,000), you could probably make a living with it.

Given all that, I still agree w/ the other side of this.  Personal
videos are great.  The incentives are different for each subject.

-Matt
http://www.leanbackvids.com
http://www.vlogmap.org

Richard