Well I certainly agree that people should be allowed to put whatever content they so choose on their web site, filtered or not.  My issue is with this spreading conventional wisdom that seems to state that we all have some inherent, deep, and fundamental responsiblity to sanitize what we can and firewall what we can't in abject terror of the remote possibility that some small child might stumble upon it.

Certainly if some private directory or archive chooses not to include pornographic material (or any other kind) that is their perogative.  But this sense that if one chooses not to do so they are in some way morally inferior is itself repugnant to me.

And again the question of whether or not it's wise to conduct said parental filtering of the world for children is a whole other topic of discussion.  And a can of worms probably best unopened.  While I would agree that showing a 4-year-old Full Metal Jacket is on the gratuitous side, I think you equally do a disservice to one's (older) children by trying to shield them too much.  After all, this world is a horrible, mean, petty, shallow, and opportunistic place that will chew you up, shred you, and spit you back out again for round two if you let down your guard.  It's all well and good that we try to create a haven in our home that's as sheltered from that cruel reality as we can.  But raising a kid in a cocoon and then thrusting them out, helpless and unprepared, to be bled dry by the world once they graduate from school doesn't seem like such a wise choice.

-m