Let's extend the "show" analogy a bit...

To me, most videoblogs are *segments*. Only when you have multiple
segments, does it become a *show*. I view *show* in this context as much
more of a "container" than simply anything.

That's just my opinion on it, and my knee-jerk, though.

andrew michael baron wrote:

> I just dont see why it would be difficult to use the word "show" in
> context of a videoblog. What are your thoughts on this?
>
> On Dec 5, 2005, at 12:27 PM, Michael Sullivan wrote:
>
>> but what part of what i said do you disagree with, specifically?
>> thanks.
>>
>> On 12/5/05, *andrew michael baron* < [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>>

>>     On Dec 5, 2005, at 11:51 AM, Michael Sullivan wrote:
>>
>>     >  if its within a videoblog form.... the word 'show' would be hard
>>     > to use.  they would just be videos.
>>     >

>>     I disagree. And so, what you are getting at here is the word "blog".
>>     It is important. As you all know, I have always looked to the
>>     history
>>     of "the blog" when discussing "format" for videoblogs. How can you
>>     not when using that word?
>>
>>     Its not "personal vs. show" that distinguishes the qualities that so
>>     many outspoken people here on this list focus on in order to
>>     separate
>>     all of us into two camps where one does not get to use the word
>>     "videoblog' because its show. We can also leave "podcasting" out of
>>     it; Podcasting is a matter of fact: it is or it isn't because its
>>     based on technology (rss enclosure), not format.
>>
>>     Videoblogging is more lose in definition because it is defined by
>>     many factors, some technologically based, and others "format based".
>>
>>     When a word is in flux based on "format", then what you have is a
>>     bunch of linguistic, metaphysical referents that do not have clear
>>     borders. Like the word 'love' can not be defined.
>>
>>     Yet, in doing our best to not speak in universals when discussing
>>     these things, we can notice patterns and attitudes, whether they are
>>     informed or not.
>>
>>     With blogging, you have personal diaries, and you have show, but
>>     there is so much more that it's silly to just focus on these two. Its
>>     shortsighted because what we see now is only just the obvious. The
>>     real beauty has yet to show itself, as more and more people begin to
>>     consider these same questions.

>>     <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>

>> --
>> sull
>> "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth and
>> revelation from which new form is born"
>>        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>       <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>>     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>>       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

>       Fireant
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fireant&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&c=4&s=51&.sig=H15DYYUHQoulfARYZSKttA>
>
>       Typepad
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Typepad&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&c=4&s=51&.sig=bK2vbSrJUIzcRadddW7krQ>
>

> Use
> [...]

Brad Webb, Director of Social Media Technology

http://vslabs.vsocial.com/
vSocial | Custom One Media, LLC
51 W. Third Street, #301
Tempe, AZ 85281