Thanks Paul, All:
That was helpful. I didn't think it mattered if in the end it ended up online. However, your point about previewing on TV seems relevant. My partner in Kenya has also mentioned the use of a DVCam Deck (I think because he too has a background in TV). Do you know if DV Deck's typically accept one format or another?
I am travelling to Kenya next week and hoping to film some of my trip for eventual posting.

DVCam is a distinctly different tape and camera format than the MiniDV format standard to most digital video cameras. DVCam is a Sony format found in many of their high end cams. You can get a MiniDV compatible deck for about $1000. Sony’s GVD-1000 has a small screen, FireWire in, composite and S-video out, and some slick onboard editing features. The decks are essentially a DV camera without the lens. The decks add a ton of life to your DV camera if you do a ton of tape transfer because you’re not relying on the motor in your camera for all the import functions.

Here’s a shopping.com link with a handful of prices for the GVD-1000:

http://www.shopping.com/xFS-Sony-GVD-1000~NS-1~linkin_id-3068035

Jake Ludington

http://www.jakeludington.com

http://www.sync2play.com