Ms. Kitka wrote:
>>Does Rocketboom have the rights to use a clip from this?  Wouldn't
>>they need the approval of both Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino?
>
> I'm no lawyer, but if you're providing free advertising for something
> I don't believe you'll get into any trouble unless you are:
>
> a) using the copyrighted material to make fun of it;
> b) using the copyrighted material to promote something the artist may
> be against (eg. pornography, politics, etc.);
> c) making money from using their copyrighted material.
>
> when I used copyrighted music on my
> last show, I made a direct link to the Amazon page where you can
> purchase the CD.  Since they get free advertising as well as a link to
> sell more albums, I doubt that they will ever complain.
>
> The good thing about doing this is that you can sign up with Amazon
> Associates and if anyone buys the product you can make 5% of the
> profits.  (My theory should work, but I haven't made a cent yet...)

I'm am also 'not a lawyer' and since no one has ever been able to
explain 'fair use' to me in a way I can feel safe about, and I don't
want to risk going to court over it, I've stayed away from using
material I do not have the right to use.

Kitka, you seem to contradict yourself:

"I don't believe you'll get into any trouble unless you are making money
from using their copyrighted material."

and then you go on to say that you might be making money via sales from
Amazon. Isn't this "making money from using their copyrighted material"?

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/
videoblog for the future...