Need before wants - it is always helpful to know what you need to
shoot as opposed to what you want be able to shoot.

Now since you have kids, some who may be into sports or dance or some
kind of activity you are gonna want a cheap but functioning camera.

Don't buy the D-8, I know it is cheap but at $318 + tax is isn't a
good purchase. If it was $118 or even $200 I'd could say yeah but with
a strong warning that some day you will not be able to purchase hi-8
tapes or if anything breaks on that camcorder you will not have a
means of playing your stuff unless you buy another D-8.

You can get a good general DV cam for under $500. Many of these stores
toss in the tripod and carrying case free anyway. If not, they are not
that expensive.

A good place to start is CNet quick test on the features that you
might be looking for in a camcorder:

Camcorder Buying Guide:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Camcorders/4520-7607_7-1023271-1.html?tag=dir

CNet Main Camcorder page:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Camcorders/2001-6500_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.dir

After you that visit then hop on over to http://www.camcorderinfo.com

Buy smart - and as I have learned an expensive lesson, test that
camcorder the split second you get home. Especially the firewire port!

Gena
http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com