The comparison between the internet and the printing press is
fascinating.

I agree that there are some very interesting developments during the
middle ages as the church began too lose its monopoly on scribing to
the more democratized printing model that most definitely are
applicable to today's situation in the world of internet video, but
there is one startling difference.

It was impossible to control the distribution of content in that
time. There were no pipes, no tubes, and even the most ruthless and
capable despot could not limit the distribution of the written word.

Today on the other hand, with the lack of privacy and the breadcrumbs
that are strewn about all over in our internet world, I think it can
be clamped down on like never before.

The move to limit our access to content in order to ensure the big
guys ability to deliver their content is a major impediment to
distribution and the trackability and lack of privacy make for a
different situation from the rise of literacy and the transformation
from an institutional scribing system to a more open printing system.

I hope that makes sense...

Thanks for the interesting reading and thoughts.

Cheers,

Ron