I guess that any 'we' really can change things, but not always in the
way that was intended, unforseen consequences are inevitable. I think
things have already changed, there are questions about quite how far
it will go, how knows.

I randomly switched on the TV here in the UK a few nights ago and
after the main 10PM news bulletin on BBC One, there was a program
about the internet, its evolution, and it got onto blogging, myspace,
youtube, and that whole longtail thing.

It was good, if a little bit arty/intellectual. One of the things they
got most excited about was the wikipedia phenomenon. I think that if
online videos of various sorts could do something colaborative on as
impressive a scale as wikipedia has, that would be a very nice thing.
It was pointed out that some of the languages what wikipedia is being
written in, have never had an encyclopedia of any sort before! Now
thats what I call progress, and the decentralised nature of wikipedia
always floats my boat.

Steve Elbows