Im not sure Id agree that a sense of victimization or righteous anger
are the primary driving forces behind such things, but they are in the
mix somewhere when it comes to reactions of music etc industry. Ive
yet to see it from any vlogger in response to creative re-use of an
element of their work, perhaps sometimes towards comapnies/sites that
may have deserved it.

Personally I dont think vlogging is in quite that much danger yet,
though there is a spectrum of opinion on rights, freedoms etc, at
least the relationship with the internet is that it enables this
stuff, rather than being the source of the threat. There will be a
small minority of people interested in things like DRM and attempting
strong control over distribution, and this may get worse as revenue
streams appear, but generally at least were beyond the idea of denying
basic rights to viewers, all the griping and desire for control covers
those who are piggybacking off others work to try to get rich, so
distribution/promotion/sponsorship/advertising stuff, and then the
things you are talking about are the next step from that - rights for
artists and re-use.

That area interests me because I have dabbled with VJing in the
pastwhere there were always hot debates about VJ's 'right' to take
clips from other peoples work and remix/recontextualixe them and use
them in their live shows. Visual sampling, usually without making much
money, but arguably still using the work of others for potential
financial gain. Opinions varied especially as some people struggle to
see the artistic/creative merit in using samples, whilst others
believe its a virtual free-for-all, and that in the USA they may be
protected by some 'fair use' right to use snippets for certain
purposes (educational and parody spring to mind). Theres never a
conclusion, the nearest i could sum up is that people usually get away
with it unless they get a lot of attention or make loads of money, and
so are worth pursuing. And that many VJs would like to play it legally
and ethically safe so were happy when creative commons and archive.org
emerged.

In the world of vlogging issues of disparity between videobloggers
creative rights to protect their work, versus trampling of other
creative peoples rights, can cause strange moral wormholes to open in
my mind. I recall that in the earlier days of this list, there was
much discussion about using copyrighted music in vlogs, and some
feelings that it was unfair and overly restrictive for companies to
crackdown on this sort of use. Funnily enough one of the many reasons
this is less common now, is that it gets in the way of vloggers
ability to use creative commons licenses on their own work. Obviously
there are still large grey and unresolved issues here, such as deals
we heard about where youtube paid loadsamoney to some corps to make
legit the use of their artists works within things people uploaded to
youtube. Ive never clarified just exactly what happened with this -
can I upload a vid there of me dancing to copyrighted music from
certain labels and it be ok?

My own personal viewpoint has always been something to do with
sampling, when done in some way that is not just a complete
carbon-copy of the original work, can have merit, and indeed might be
seen as an inevitable desire in people. Folk music would be a
comparable thing, another thing that shows the social, creative &
communicative nature of humans. We like to share experiences, and if
our experiences and culture are partly due to the media we consume,
we'll want to do a variety of things with it.

I dunno, theres a balance somewhere but there will always be some
people who will go far one way or the other. Judging by the state of
the world in general, humans struggle to balance the idea of 'freedom'
with the 'need for security'. Personally Ive not got my creative reuse
juices flowing often, when I have Ive tried to mostly use public
domain or cc-derivs allowed stuff, but see plenty of copyrighted stuff
Id love to use if it felt right and justified. For example I tend to
think that politicians, and footage of them speaking, should be public
domain, but where does that leave the humans who have to operate the
camera etc etc.

I have no predictions for how any of this may change in future. I
would guess that the most radical changes would happen if there
suddenly became a huge amount less of real money available for
creators of all kinds, for all the associated distribution and
publicity industries, because the stakes would change. But I dont see
that happening unless any of my doomer scenarios of the future happen.

What a totally different attitude we might have to all forms of
ownership, rights, control, freedom of all creative works, ideas, and
reuse, if we lived in some totally different world where everybody did
a practical job such as farming during the first part of the day, and
then returned home to converse, create, remix and redeploy, entertain
, amuse and educate fellow humans during the afternoon & evening.

Cheers

Steve Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Lucas Gonze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>