I know you can do this for free on a PC with Windows Movie Maker. Here are
two short experiments I did last year:

http://davidleeking.com/etc/2006/07/ball-and-hand-another-animation-test.html
and
http://davidleeking.com/etc/2006/07/testing-stop-motion-animation.html

Both used Windows Movie Maker - for the images, I just took them with a
cheapo web cam, then dropped them in, in order, on the movie's timeline. And
somewhere, there was a way to make each image about 1 10th of a sec or so -
so the animation could happen (I think I googled it to figure it out).

Hope this helps!

David

--
David King