Argh is this safari 3 beta browser Im using on the mac causing extra line
breaks to be put
at the end of enery line Im typing to this group?

If so, apologies for the added strain of reading my recent posts, I'll have to
firefox.

Cheers

Steve Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Maybe fame is very segmented these days. In an era where the mass media isnt
> quite so
> mass, and the rise of the long tail, there is less collective recognition of
> a limited set of
> people who are the megafamous.
>
> Its probably easy to overstate such things, but I guess it would potentially
> be especially
> true of something like videoblogging, compared to traditional sources of
> megafame like
> television, which will have a very slow and painful decline (or rebirth
> perhaps), rather
than
> their fame vanishing overnight.
>
> The generation gap, in terms of certain elements of shared culture etc, has
> never been
so
> big as it is now, Id guess? It wasnt like this when things like music were
> passed mostly
> person to person, folk-tastic. I dunno how things will pan out with this
> stuff and the
> internet, whether it will make everything more folksey and human again,
> whether it will
> send fame on a shrinking path, a race to the bottom where more people become
famous
> but to less people.
>
> Will we reach a time where it is accepted as totally normal to have a fairly
> small number
of
> viewers, and everyone can still thrive on this, rather than the exception of
> the highly
> viewed 'famous people' being seen so often as the goal and anything else as
> failure?
Easy
> to say but this then ties in with ideas about how much people 'deserve' (or
> need) to get
> paid to vlog sustainably.
>
> I dont ever know how a question like 'who is the most famous xxx' can be
> answered.
> There cant be one definitive answer, normally. And with something like
> vlogging,
someone
> could be famous for some other reason and then happen to do a videoblog. And
> my
mum
> doesnt know any videobloggers, none of them are famous to her. But in other
> segments
of
> society there are some famous vloggers. Fame eh, has anybody seen any
> videoblogs
that
> say anything profound about the concept of fame? Right now Big Borther is on
> UK TV,
ugh
> a bunch of people getting famous by being on tv, sometimes strangely
> compelling,
> usually a talent-free zone, yet people feel like they get to know these
> characters,
creating
> a strangely intimate sort of fame? Either way if you urinate in the shower on
> big brother,
> you'l get a lot more fame than if you urinate on youtube. But then again the
> downside of
> attention may be felt as everyone youve every known are tempted by bucks from
> the
> tabloids, who wish to print all about your past in the papers. Some people do
> well on
fame
> and others are destroyed by it. So perhaps Im glad it doesnt come easier to
> most
vloggers,