re context

I recently had to show some of my online stuff theatrically (not at
pixelodeon, which BOO HOO family obligations prevented me from attending and
i've been eating up all the post event coverage). I thought a lot about the
whole recontextualizing issue. If it was a lecture/demo sort of thing I'd
definitely show the actual blog, or "simulate" the ipod experience or
something, but this was part of a show that had my other stuff in it. I
tried all sorts of things. I did not come up with a good solution. The stuff
was so thoroughly designed for a small screen and an intimate viewing
experience that it couldn't survive the translation. In the end I added some
new material to string pieces together and added some text to at least cue
the audience into the original context, so they at least knew the WHY of the
pieces. It was ok but just ok. The images were just too big, too
overpowering - these were pieces I would never have made for that context,
and if vlogs didn't exist they wouldn't have been made at all.

On the other hand, people were inspired by the pieces, and thanks to having
a Q&A afterwards it led people to the videoblog. It was still worth doing.
Another curator elsewhere asked to show some of the same stuff, unaltered,
and I didn't even hesitate. And it got me thinking, and in fact I am now
working up a "live" version of Trace Garden (presented as a real time
seance), but it's a COMPLETE reworking of it, which will take quite a while
to put together.

One of the difficult things for filmmakers right how is that we have pretty
much lost control over the context of presentation. Vlogs are GREAT in that
sense on one hand - you not only create the context, you control the look
and feel of the equivalent to the theater or tv or whatever yourself. But
theatrically, esp. with video, you have no idea what your work will look
like in any setting - will they be able to see that figure in the shadows
creeping up on the two people in the car? Depends on the projector, how much
light in the room, etc. Why not just brighten the figure? Cuz its a
different figure then. And further, if you are lucky enough to become
popular, it IS going to be ripped, torrented, youtubed, poorly transferred
to PAL VHS from a second generation copy of a rented tape, shown in a bar
while a band plays, etc. So why not make work that will survive it all? for
some people that's an option, but for many of us the things that make us
want to get the camera out to begin with involve images that can't translate
all that well between contexts.

So for screening vlogs, I think its a case by case thing: sometimes Ryanne's
approach will be perfect, for some vlogs something else, for some, well it
isn't gonna be perfect, but it may be worth going for it anyway.

Brook (who is obviously procastinating or he'd get to work!)

oh p.s. Rupert I love that video. What you said, and also the wonderful
little whoa! whoops! interruptions!

Brook Hinton
film/video/audio art
www.brookhinton.com <<vlog links are here

TRACE GARDEN now available in flash format on Blip!
tracegarden.blip.tv