Well the data rate & settings should be the same on Windows as on OS X. The
problem is if
your video editing package doesnt have the right encoder built in, and you have
to go to
an intermediate format that is then loaded into an encoder. Ther are potential
problems
where either quality is lost at this step due to the settings & codec user for
the
intermediate format, or if your encoding software makes a bad job of reading
that file.

You know this already, Im just reiterating. So what format avi are you getting
out of vegas?

For anybody looking for absolute best possible quality, quicktime is not the
best h264
encoder. With the right settings, x264 (which may also be referred to as ffmpeg
or
mencoder) is probably the best, but working out the right settings, getting the
right app
that uses this encoder and makes things easy, are issues.

The best quality is also not usually the most compatible. I presume the 720p
sample that I
linked to yesterday, wont play using quciktime, itunes or on various apple
hardware. It
probably uses h264 High profile, which has various extra encoding features
which can give
better quality at a given bitrate, at the expense of compatibility. The h264
playback in
latest flash will handle this profile, as will certain games consoles and
alternative h264
decoders for WIndows & Mac. But I assume the lack of quicktime etc
compatibility will be
enough to put people off?

I shall be persuing this anyway, as filesize & quality are important to people,
and I still
consume most video through the browser.

Pants, it seems that Adobe managed to break the benefits to cpu load that their
hardware
fullscreen mode offered. In the beta version I got noticable drop of CPU when
using
fullscreen mode, and Im not getting the same benefit with the release version.
There are
some grumblings about this on the net, but Ive not seen anything totally
conclusive yet.

Right now I am looking to find the best settings to create 960x540 h264 video
with
hopefully the best possible balance between bitrate, resolution, and
compression artifacts.
I will post some findings later.

Cheers

Steve Elbows