Hi there folks, and thanks very very much for the advice.

About enclosures ... just to clarify, I'm not saying send multiple
enclosures out in the feed, I'm saying that the client asks for the
feed, WordPress says "Oh that's an iTunes client" or "Oh that's a
client that prefers WMV" or "Oh I can't tell what client this is, so
I'll send out this generic MP4" - and then encodes the feed so it
contains only the correct enclosure.

I think I'll move forward with Show in a Box. Your advice and the
efforts of the Showinaboxers are much appreciated.

As for separate files for iPod and AppleTV ... I encode a file that's
suitable for both, by using QuickTime Pro (export a 640x480 M4V using
the iPod preset) in conjunction with Videora iPod Converter (crunch
that M4V down to smaller file size - this gets around the 'baseline
low complexity' issue). I can understand why others may have their
reasons for doing separate iPod and AppleTV files but personally I
think this complicates things too much for viewers, especially those
who have both an AppleTV and an iPod - if they're already downloading
the 'big' file for their AppleTV anyway, why not make it work on the
iPod as well?

Waz from Crash Test Kitchen
http://www.crashtestkitchen.com