http://www.danwei.org/net_nanny_follies/
blogspot_unblocked_but_blogger.php

> Blogspot unblocked, but Blogger is blocked
> Posted by Jeremy Goldkorn, June 13, 2008 12:05 PM
>

> Blogspot, Google's popular blogging platform is accessible again in
> China, judging from reports from Chengdu and Beijing.
>
> Blogspot has been blocked and unblocked so many times in China that
> is barely worth mentioning: it usually works for a few weeks, and
> then gets blocked again (see this Blogspot chronology on Danwei).
>
> But this time seems to be different. In the past, even when
> Blogspot was inaccessible in China, people using the platform could
> still post to their blogs even though they could not read the blogs
> without a proxy. Today it seems that Blogger, the part of Blogspot
> used for publishing blog entries, is blocked.
>
> This may just be a technical glitch, but perhaps it is a rather
> subtle strategy of the Net Nanny:
>
> With Blogspot available, most Olympic visitors are less likely to
> notice Internet censorship, but stopping Blogger will make it much
> harder for some athletes, journalists and other visitors to publish
> their thoughts online.
>
> Update: Judging from the comments, this may just be some type of
> technical glitch rather than an act of the Nanny: Blogspot is still
> not available in many places while Blogger is accessible.

I'm going to China for the solar eclipse on Aug. 1, & want to
document my trip.  Like I did for Egypt '06:

http://eclipsechaser.blogspot.com/search/label/Solar%20Eclipse%203%
2F29%2F06%3A%20photos%2Fvideos
http://eclipsechaser.blogspot.com/search/label/Solar%20Eclipse%203%
2F29%2F06%3A%20trip

http://www.comet-track.com/eclipse/secl06/secl06.html
http://www.comet-track.com/eclipse/secl.html

I'm working with a high school teacher in China (who is leading her
own group of students to observe the eclipse), & others (physicist
@Chinese Academy of Sciences).  I want to have the Blogger blog do
some cultural outreach between China & the World (incl USA).  So, if
Blogger is blocked..I can't make posts!  Or, if Blogspot is blocked,
then native Chinese can't see the content.

What to do?  I need experts on this list to figure out a solution/
strategy.  I leave in a week.

I've moved my http://eclipsescience.blogspot.com to another domain
(using Bloggers publishing tool):

http://blog.eclipse-science.com

But, it still doesn't solve the "Blogger blocked" problem, since it
would prevent me from publishing blog entries.

Another thing.  Can I upload videos to Blip.tv, without much
trouble?  (are there bandwidth issues?  I know someone in New
Zealand, who has trouble watching videos hosted in the US).

I want to try other blogging solutions like Kyte.tv  (pictures and
videos), Mogulus.com

http://www.mogulus.com/solareclipse2006
http://www.mogulus.com/solareclipse2002
http://www.mogulus.com/solareclipse2001
http://www.mogulus.com/solareclipse1999
http://www.mogulus.com/solareclipse1998

http://www.kyte.tv/solareclipse2006
http://www.kyte.tv/solareclipse2002
http://www.kyte.tv/solareclipse2001
http://www.kyte.tv/solareclipse1999
http://www.kyte.tv/solareclipse1998

I like the email w/attachment (picture or video) solution.  I have no
idea about cellphone accessibility in China, anyone know?

I'm sure there is coverage, but what about data & email attachments?
I have a contact in China (travel agent who speaks good English, who
is making a lot of travel arrangements for me: hotel w/Internet
access, etc), who is researching the pre-paid SIM card  (which
includes a good data package).

I will have Internet access at my observation site, the nearby
weather station & Internet Cafe.

Basically, I need feedback from someone who has blogged their travels
in China.  There are a couple of good forums, like Lonely Planet & VT
(virtual tourist), which have extensive traveler feedback from China.

This is good timing, with Jay Dedman's post on "Collaborative video
blogging project".  I suppose I could email my Blogger posts to
someone here in USA, & have them post it via Blogger (I would have to
give them access to my Blogger account).