> What to do?  I need experts on this list to figure out a solution/
> strategy.  I leave in a week.

My solution to making sure I had access to everything while I spent six
weeks in China was remote desktop. I found very few places I couldn't get to
(and am guessing that many things will be "fixed" for the Olympics, but
having that as a backup was priceless. It meant having a computer on at home
in the US, but it was worth it.

> Another thing.  Can I upload videos to Blip.tv, without much
> trouble?  (are there bandwidth issues?  I know someone in New
> Zealand, who has trouble watching videos hosted in the US).

I uploaded videos from China to several services with no problem.

> I like the email w/attachment (picture or video) solution.  I have no
> idea about cellphone accessibility in China, anyone know?

It's not 3G but service seems to be everywhere.

> I'm sure there is coverage, but what about data & email attachments?
> I have a contact in China (travel agent who speaks good English, who
> is making a lot of travel arrangements for me: hotel w/Internet
> access, etc), who is researching the pre-paid SIM card  (which
> includes a good data package).

Anytime I wanted "real" data service I reverted to Internet access from a PC
because it was slow otherwise, but there were a couple of times where I
looked up sites from the back of a cab to get the cab driver written
addresses for where I wanted to go.

Jake Ludington

http://www.jakeludington.com