right now i have 3 or 5 folks a day joining my yahoo group to see
production stills from a special interest shoot.  most of the
footage, as usual, will only ever be seen by a select two.  i have no
doubt the raw footage is of interest to some few thousands.

lets see, what do i like better about my life - being one of the two
that sees it all, or being the one that lets it all show?

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
>  >
>  > Even politicians are now well-versed in using videoblogging and
all
>  > kinds of web video to sell their message as they go along.
>  > http://johnmccain.blip.tv/
>  >
>  > The Queen has her own YouTube channel, for god's sake. And it's
>  > quite good.
>  > http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRoyalChannel
>  >
>  > When John McCain and Elizabeth II are more innovative in their
use of
>  > online video than professional moviemakers, you know something is
>  > seriously rotten in the state of Denmark.
>  >
>  > I edited out a lot of swear words from this post.
>  >
>  > Rupert
>  > http://twittervlog.tv
>  >
>  >
>  > On 5-Sep-08, at 4:05 PM, Rupert wrote:
>  >
>  > Good for Michael Moore. Yes, some of them are starting to get it.
>  > But even the ones who are getting it are only partly getting it,
and
>  > - like your director, Jan - are bullied by producers and funders
who
>  > are still a long way from getting it.
>  >
>  > In May, I was at a talk about the future of documentaries given
by
>  > Deborah Scranton, who directed War Tapes.
>  >
>  > In the end, she advocated YouTube as the best way to get your
films
>  > seen by people.
>  >
>  > I asked her how she thought that kind of free distribution fitted
>  > with getting the considerable funding needed to make big
>  > documentaries like hers.
>  >
>  > She didn't have an answer.
>  >
>  > And then I asked her whether it was OK for The War Tapes to be
>  > distributed on YouTube so that it got viewed by more people.
>  >
>  > She said "Oh, that's a question for the producer."
>  >
>  > I was really disappointed with her. One moment, she was
saying "It's
>  > great for you little people to get your films in front of an
audience
>  > on YouTube" - and the next, she wouldn't even give her personal
view
>  > about her own film being shown that way, to a room full of
emerging
>  > documentary filmmakers.
>  >
>  > These questions are no brainers to me, and yet she was supposed
to be
>  > giving an authoritative view about the future of documentaries.
It's
>  > all very easy for established filmmakers to say "Up and coming
>  > filmmakers should use YouTube" - but if they say that, then they
have
>  > to be able to justify why THEY should use it, too - regardless of
>  > what the studio's lawyers say in 2008. Otherwise it's just a
>  > bullshit platitude to make them sound like they get it. And it
>  > doesn't address the problem of how big documentaries will be
funded
>  > ten years from now.
>  >
>  > I'm always amazed at how long it takes TV and Film professionals
>  > understand and get excited about this stuff, instead of seeing
it as
>  > a financial threat.
>  >
>  > Rupert
>  > http://twittervlog.tv
>  >
>  > On 5-Sep-08, at 3:29 PM, Jan McLaughlin wrote:
>  >
>  > Great news, really.
>  >
>  > They begin to 'get it'.
>  >
>  > Ha!
>  >
>  > Bwah-hahaha.
>  >
>  > Yes!!!!!!!!!
>  >
>  > The director of the indie movie I just finished mixing ("City
>  > Island") is
>  > putting clips from dailies (bloopers & such) online on his blog
> through
>  > YouTube.
>  >
>  > <
>  > http://moviestildawn.blogspot.com/2008/09/city-island-empire-
diner-
>  > moment.html
>  > >
>  >
>  > The producers had him cease and desist for about a week during
>  > production,
>  > but blog comments convinced 'em it was the right thing to do.
>  >
>  > One producer at a time...
>  >
>  > The director also wants to break his previous movie ("Two
Family
> House")
>  > into 10-minute segments and put the whole thing on YouTube - and
WILL
>  > eventually. The director definitely gets it.
>  >
>  > Jan
>  >
>  > On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Jay dedman
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<jay.dedman%40gmail.com>>
>  > wrote:
>  >
>  > > Michael Moore is putting out his new film, "Slacker Rising", on
>  > the web
>  > > through blip.tv (for free).
>  > >
>  > > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080905-michael-moore-
skips-
>  > box-office-film-heads-straight-to-net.html
>  > >
>  > > "*Slacker Uprising* details Moore's tour of 62 US cities in an
>  > attempt to
>  > > rally young voters before the presidential election in 2004.
Moore