This is such a common problem.  I see it driving people mad all the
time.

Usually if there's a difference between iMovie and FCP when using the
same export settings, the problem is not in the Export settings
(which are the same), it's in the Sequence settings.

Chances are there's an anamorphic or distortion setting that's out of
sync between your Sequence and your Clip.

Two things to check - first that your Clip and your Sequence are both
checked as Anamorphic - or not.

Then double click on your Clip in the Timeline so that it opens in
the Viewer.  Click the Motion tab, and check the Distort settings.
Chances are that this is where the problem is.  The Aspect Ratio
setting under Distort should be set to 0.  If it's not, it means FCP
has distorted your clip to fit the sequence.  Probably because the
sequence is Anamorphic and your clip is not.

So create a new sequence with *exactly* the same settings as your
clip, copy all the clips in your edited sequence over to the new
sequence - you'll see they're distorted.  Go through them and change
the Distort Aspect Ratio settings to 0 to return them to normal.

(You can speed this up with an Attribute copy and paste - change one
clip, copying it and "Paste Attributes..." onto all the other clips
with just the Distort setting checked.)

Hope it works for you. Usually does.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv