Ditto what Verdi said.

I've been exporting from FCE --> DV stream (for archiving) --> QT Pro -->
compress for web for a while now, though not for the reasons you mention,
JD.

Just seems like QT's compression is faster / better -- for the lack of bells
& whistles maybe.

Delighted to have confirmation of that workaround.

Thanks, Verdi.

Jan

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Michael Verdi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hey JD - for some reason FCP has been borked like this back to version
> 4.5 or whenever they came up with the ipod presets. What I do is
> export a full resolution copy from FCP and open that in QuickTime pro
> and then compress from there. QuickTime pro gets it right. Doesn't
> make sense but that's the way it is.
> - Verdi
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 1:32 PM, JD Lasica <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi, I've been experiencing a strange problem.
> >
> > I shoot my videos in HD on a Canon VH20 at 1440x1080 (and output the
> > finished works at 480x270).
> >
> > When I output the finished video in iMovie (as mp4, .mov or .m4v for
> > the iphone), they turn out fine.
> >
> > When I output it in Final Cut Pro, they turn out fine in .mp4 but
> > distorted (squeezed and deeper) when I export in either:
> > QuickTime Conversion > iphone (where it's all done automatically)
> > QuickTime Conversion > QuickTime Movie
> >
> > I asked my FCP tutor about this yesterday and he couldn't track down
> > the problem.
> >
> > Could the culprit be FCP's Audio/Video Settings? Or do I need to
> > change something on my camcorder?
> >
> > Thanks, O Wisdom of the Mailing List!
> >
> > jd lasica
> > ourmedia.org