I do not know a single artist who has anything remotely resembling "a lot of
free time". That includes people like me who work at dayjobs more than full
time AND try to pursue art full time, and the few people I've known who are
lucky enough to be full time artists.  And most artists - dayjob supported
or not - give up a tremendous amount in order to do what they do.
The kind of work that the gooooooooooooogle fellow does is not something one
does to relax with a beer during one's free time. You may find it
"gimmicky", but I don't, and I doubt very seriously he's spending an excess
of "free time" coming up with and implementing ideas that make people, or at
least some people, sit up and look at the world with fresh eyes. It's not
really a leisure activity.

Brook