Its not so much to do with mac snobbery, but mostly about a good
balance between quality and filesize, although itunes and ipod
compatibility are a factor too. Mac snobbery is part of the reason
that wmv format is unloved, though windows users have others reasons
not be care for wmv much too.

Apple did push h.264 quite early on, and as their software & devices
support it, whilst microsoft prefers too push its own formats, some
users, espeially windows ones, are given the impression that this mp4
and h264 stuff is all about quicktime.

In reality there are many other ways to encode and play h264 on
Windows and other OS's. But they may sometimes fly under the radar,
and may occasionally cause some issues if you want your h264 to work
right with ipods, iphones or whatever. Actually thats quite a big
issue if you look to closely at the detail, because there is not just
one sort of h264 file that is universally compatible with everything,
different profiles and resolutions wor with different devices. This is
probably a bit better now than a few years back, most prtobably dont
worry about it, and just offer their video in 1 or 2 h264 versions at
most. Also bear in mind that flash can now play h264 files, so its
becoming more normal for this to be the format that is played in
peoples browsers (with quicktime nowhere in sight).

You can put h264 fiels inside a mov but its better for overall
compatibility to make .mp4 files instead. Quicktime can do either,
most other apps probably just do .mp4. Apple confuse things further by
using the extension .m4v but this is really the same as .mp4, and can
be renamed manually for greater compatibility.

I had a quick look at the spec for Vegas 9. It supports several
different types of h264 export. But being Sony they might refer to
h264 as AVC instead, its the same thing really. Just another bit of
unnecessary confusion to top things off!

Anyway its nowhere near as complicated as my post might suggest, as
long as you dont get caught up trying to make it compatible with
everything. Hopefully Vegas's own export will work OK for your needs,
because having to render to an intermediate format is certainly a pain
in terms of lost time & quality.

What format do you encode to presently? Although h264 is the norm and
has some advantages, its not absolutely essential just yet. Older
mpeg4 is still ok. A lot of these issues have been hidden behind
flash's dominance of browser video in recent years, people didnt need
to care unless they were offering podcast-like downloadable versions
of their videos through itunes etc, although now the flash-based video
hosts are upping their quality, it becomes an issue again as its
probably best to upload h264 to such hosts for best quality results.

Cheers

Steve Elbows
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "RatbagMedia" <ratbagra...@...>