Hey Ron,

I have been running Joomla for Innomind.org site since 2005-2006 or so
and have not yet upgraded to 1.5. Let me tell you about Joomla and
video; This is the worst CMS when it comes to video. The only
embeddable player that works perfectly with Joomla is Brightcove's
(brightcove.com). They just switched to v3. When embedding Blip,
Youtube or any other video hosting sites videos always gave me issues
and I had to come up with workarounds to have blip player play
smoothly. If you want to stay with Joomla for community building
reasons, I suggest to use Brighcove. Its embeddable player/video
lineup interface usability and looks beats any other out of the water,
including Blip's. Too bad they discontinued the free acounts starting
Dec. 17. However, you mentioned that you want to implement
pay/download/view, I know that Brightcove has that feature to offer.
There's another player in the field of online video hosting, it's
called Ooyala, but I haven't played around with embedding it using Joomla.

If there's a robust community building plugin for Wordpress,
definitely go with Wordpress then. I, to the tell you the truth, have
been disappointed with the way Joomla handles video, with or without
addition video-enabling plugins.

Good luck!

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org