"What's once fringe yet legitimately useful would naturally move
towards the center."

I think the technology has definitely moved to the center, but the following
has not:

1. Support for masterful online content that will sustain the test of time,
but has comparatively little commerical value

2. Disregard of independent content producers by established media and
artistic institutions

3. A commitment to fair trade in independent video creation

4. Sane copyright

5. and much, much more

--
Jeffrey Taylor