A lot of people provide a Flash player as default for maximum
compatibility and then provide a text link to the high quality file
underneath.  In a lot of cases, you need to provide a text link to
the file for podcasting purposes anyway, so you could just label that
as a high quality version.

But it's pretty hard to convince people who don't know about these
things that they should choose one file or another.  Mostly they're
concerned with speed and ease over video quality.  If they don't have
Quicktime installed (or they have an old version), they're going to
get a problem when they click your link to your Quicktime file and
they're not going to bother to install Quicktime or upgrade it.  Even
close family members don't do that, in my experience.

Hence the domination of YouTube, whose great move of genius was to
stick with an old Flash codec that most people could use on older
computers.  Four years later, there are still a few people I know
here in Vancouver Island who have older computers that can only see
YouTube videos, not Blip or Vimeo or anything else - they can't
install the latest versions of Flash player.

Other than that, at the risk of sounding like I'm on the Blip
payroll, the Blip flash player is quite a neat solution.  It'll play
the video in the Flash player as a high quality H264 mp4 file when
one is available, or otherwise as a Flash video.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv