Cheers :)

Apart from how good/efficient the formats you used to use were, there are a
couple of other reasons for what you've noticed:

People were more conservative about filesizes in the past, you could force h264
to use a lower bitrate and get results that are smaller without too much loss
of detail, depending on what your content consists of, especialy talking heads
with static background.

Devices that record & encode in realtime will never achieve the same
quality/filesize optimisation as multi-pass encoding can. The first pass gives
the encoder information about where it can skimp on the bitrate, hence
filesize, giving an advantage.Realtime recording devices dont have that luxury.

Cheers

Steve Elbows