My 2 tips for promoting h264 format are:

Have it playable via a flash player embedded in the page, so users dont even
need to know its an mp4 (others have already discussed this)

Dont make the h264 file a .mov or a .m4v or a .f4v. Make it a .mp4 because this
has the widest sounding compatibility with the widest range of software and
hardware. In practice this is not quite true yet, and certain users may be more
comfortable with a proprietary extension (eg .m4v defaults to being loaded by
itunes), and many devices can handle .mov as well as .mp4. But certainly .mov
has negative connotations for some windows users who may associate it strongly
with quicktime which they may not like. Windows 7 will have h264 support built
in as far as I know, and I assume this will gradually lead to much greater
consumer awareness of having their h264 videos as .mp4. Or at least .movs will
lose their negative quicktime link if windows media player handles .mov h264
out of the box too.

Cheers

Steve Elbows