If you read the JVC tech stuff (it's buried in there) you find that it
records MPEG2 Long GOP at up to 35Mbps (this is basically HDV at a
higher bit rate) and then sticks it in a .mov wrapper. So it sounds
cool but if it's anything like editing the HDV from my Canon, it's
possible but not very enjoyable. Editing HDV is so frustrating that it
makes me happy to transcode to an intermediate format.

So far the best system like this that I've seen is the Panasonic that
shoots on P2 cards but instead of using the P2 cards you use a
Firestore drive which gives you the option of recording the DVCProHD
files in a .mov wrapper. DVCProHD is the only HD capture codec that
I've worked with that edits well. We used this set up at a company I
used to work for and it was super cool although that camera with a HDD
strapped to and wireless mic receivers was one big pain in the ass.

- Verdi