I'm skeptical. This is not revolutionary.
There are two existing camcorder lines that compete with this, albeit a
grand or two over the price (assuming this comes in around 4k) - the Sony
EX1, and Panasonic's HVX200. Both have more control and professional
features. The EX1 has 1/2 inch chips (the difference between, say, regular
8mm and Super 16 in terms of depth of field control) and unbelievable low
light performance with a 35mbps codec similar to JVC's. The Panasonic uses a
codec that isn't subject to the perils of temporal compression (but does
have an issue re its lower res chips). With the JVC and for the matter the
Sony, you still need to transcode if you want to work efficiently in
anything but a cuts-and-dissolves only environment. Final Cut Pro already
deals with these formats natively. JVC is just finally introducing a
competing product. The whole "direct to quicktime" thing is just hype.
DVCPro HD is already FCP compatible and doesn't need transcoding. Any
temporal codec is going to need transcoding for professional use whether its
"native quicktime" or not: its just the nature of the beast - the basic
physical reality of GOP structure.

The one fantastic, revolutionary thing is that it uses SDHC cards instead of
a proprietary and more expensive card format. But it's 1/4" chips and mpeg2.
 The 35mbps codec, if its anything like Sony's, will be significantly better
than HDV though. If you're looking at ye olde classic DV equivalents, this
is a dressed up tapeless TRV900. not a tapeless DVX-100 or  XL1.

The lens is another variable. In HD, the lens is a huge factor. None of the
cams in this range have had particularly good lenses, but that's not
surprising given the cost of HD lenses.

That doesn't mean its not good or a good value, its just not particularly
groundbreaking. I'll look at it closely when its available, but if I'm in
the market in something for this range I suspect I'll wait and save a little
bit more for something like an EX1.