Hey Jon

Interesting (if inconclusive) stuff.  There are some logical flaws in this
survey (and your conclusion) I think.  The survey responses are, of
course, based on services, content, and technology currently available.
They're also based on current pricing schemes.

The real question to ask, I think, would be "how many of you would opt for
subscribing to remote (i.e. vendor-side) access if:  1) network delivery
were relatively stable for multiple concurrent users 2) image resolution
were sufficient for study-level access 3) continuing access to individual
titles were relatively stable (i.e. we could be sure that the carpet
wouldn't be whisked out from under us whenever distributor/filmmaker
contracts expired 4) pricing was flexible enough to allow both
single-semester and longer term-access

And the real kicker:  how many would get into this business more earnestly
(either for the short  or long haul) if currently unrealistic pricing
structure for digital delivery (including the necessity of paying over and
over for access to the same title) didn't preclude it.

gary handman

Director
Media Resources Center
Moffitt Library