Hello all,

Netflix streaming was introduced in Canada yesterday with much fanfare. I was just reviewing the terms of use on the Netflix.ca site. It only offers a streaming service for $7.99/month. At this point all of the films I checked that are available for streaming in the U.S. are not available for streaming in Canada, and I checked about a dozen.

Here are some interesting quotes from the terms of use:

TO THE EXTENT ALLOWABLE BY LAW, WE AND OUR LICENSORS DISCLAIM ALL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, FOR EXAMPLE, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. In addition, we do not represent or warrant that the information accessible via our site is accurate, complete or current.

We do not represent or guarantee that your use of the Netflix service will be free from interruption, loss, corruption, attack, viruses, interference, hacking, or other security intrusion and we disclaim any liability with respect thereto. No oral or written information or advice given by us or our authorized representative shall create a warranty or otherwise constitute a representation binding upon Netflix or its affiliated parties.

END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT: BY USING OUR SERVICE, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE (1) TO THE NETFLIX SOFTWARE END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT <http://www.netflix.ca/TermsOfUse?id=6433>FOUND HERE AS SUCH MAY BE AMENDED OR ADDED TO FROM TIME TO TIME AND (2) TO RECEIVE, WITHOUT FURTHER NOTICE OR PROMPTING, UPDATED VERSIONS OF THE NETFLIX AND RELATED THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THE FOREGOING TERMS, DO NOT USE OUR SERVICE.

You may not download (other than through page caching necessary for personal use, or as otherwise expressly permitted by these Terms of Use), modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, duplicate, publish, license, create derivative works from, or offer for sale any information contained on, or obtained from or through, the Netflix service, without our express written consent.

Oksana

Oksana Dykyj
Head, Visual Media Resources
Faculty of Fine Arts