Gary,

I agree with your assessment of the streaming vs. Blu-ray argument,
particularly when it has to do with the question of non-commercial
vs. academic use. If the user is simply concerned with content
access, streaming will do, but areas like Film Studies are usually
concerned with the quality of the image and sound. If I was not
supporting Film Studies I would also be questioning the never ending
process of repurchasing titles.

The Concordia University situation is that we are now getting 2k
projectors for the auditoria where Film Studies are taught. We also
enthusiastically support 35mm films. Film Studies courses have almost
always been taught with a licensed projectionist in a projection
booth setting up clips, projecting films and digital media.  I have
been buying Blu-rays for 3 years now and we have somewhere over 200
titles. My Dean managed to argue for some badly needed capital funds
and I have been able to equip my 3 seminar rooms with 65" THX 1080p
monitors and all-region Blu-ray players. I'm also in the process
of  changing the individual viewing stations to make them less
institutional and more semi-private with 32" 1080p monitors and
all-region Blu-ray players.  But all this is simply because we have
an academic area that requires this and I have been able to
successfully lobby for the money (and miraculously there was some
money).  The result has been very interesting: students are really
responding and actually spending a lot of time watching movies here
compared to when we had 17" monitors and DVD players.  This is the
beginning of the semester and it looks like the end of the semester
in terms of student traffic.

And as for differences in DVD vs. Blu-ray, on some films, if you have
an upconverting DVD player the differences are almost
indistinguishable. But, on other films, like Kino's The General, the
difference is completely mind boggling. Doing a side-by-side
comparison of the DVD  and the Blu-ray is like watching a VHS
transfer next to a 35mm print. In this particular case, I'm not exagerating.

It's all a matter of budget first, and supporting client's real needs.

Oksana