That's great to hear, Dennis.

When the cost is only $8/month (or the cost of 2 lattes), students and faculty can potentially get their own personal accounts and watch what they need on their own laptops or viewing devices on their own time, without ever visiting a library. This obviously does not deal with the issue of teaching, on campus, and classroom use, but if the streaming catalogue improves to the point of having titles that are minimally in the Film Studies canon, it may take off as an alternate way of students getting access to materials without having the material on university servers. Rather than buying an additional textbook they get a personal subscription to Netflix.

Personally, I would prefer to watch a Blu-ray on a THX-certified 65" 1080p monitor, but many people would prefer the convenience of having instant accessibility.

Oksana

Dear Oksana,

Netflix Canada is just getting started. In a few weeks there'll be a lot more films including some from Milestone. And I haven't seen the contract, but there are a few titles for Canada that the US don't have from us.

Best,
Dennis