Yes you can what?

FYI kind of bad word choice my part as I did not mean "preservation" in the
sense of a unique work, but in terms of converting a VHS to a DVD it is not
a replacement either which is why it can not be circulated beyond the
premise of the libary. Replacing an item would of course mean getting the
same item not a different version or format at least for the purposes of
copyright law.