From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:14 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Two unrelated questions - copyright and phonograph
records

No, any digital copy made from a VHS can not leave the library. Either he can
find a space that he can use the VCR or in theory find a  room in the library
to show the DVD.

Again I know this sounds stupid, annoying etc, but as a matter of law and in my
view fairness it is really not that complicated. I won't go into details but I
recently got access to list of the collection of a major institution that was
illegally copying material to digital. At least half of the material in the
collection were dubs from VHS of titles that had been released on DVD at cheap
retail prices. Moreover I knew some of the VHS copies to be poor early
transfers Vs excellent
new restored DVD copies. I think the librarians and professors who use this are
not only breaking the law they are giving the students VERY crappy material to
study. I understand virtually everyone on the list believes that they would
only make a copy because a title is not available and they would of course buy
one as soon it became available but in the real world that does not work,
either legally or practically.

Jessica
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Ball, James (jmb4aw)