Thanks to all for weighing in.

I understand the in-library-use only, I just wasn't clear about moving from the vhs format that is defective, to a dvd format as a replacement.

Jeanne Little

On 10/20/2010 3:45 PM, Jessica Rosner wrote:
If it was a simple "replacement" the law would not restrict where it can be used. It is  a "replacement" in a different format so it is not the same thing. It is an upgrade in a different format and since format changes are the right of the rights owner this "copy" is basically a research copy whose use is severely limited.

We agree on the law in any case if not the terminology but the bottom line is if you make a DVD from a VHS it can no longer circulate and must be used on the library premise.