Well, Judy...it sucks, put it isn't illegal, as far as I'm aware.

There continues to be a fair amount of confusion about the
PPR/institutional pricing gambit...  Here's the deal:

Some distributors charge higher prices to institutions (or others) because
they bundle items in their catalogs with PPR.  In some cases, the same
titles may also be available without PPR on the home video market
(however, rarely are titles offered without PPR via the distributor's web
site).

Some distributors charge higher prices to institutions because...well,
because they feel they can get the $$$ out of them.  Some of these folks
confuse things by contending that PPR are required for ALL institutional
uses (including classroom use)--a false contention, of course.

The bottom line is, vendors can charge whatever it wants, at whatever
price, to whomever they want, and under whichever conditions of use it
wishes:  the transaction is commercial and contractual.  Hell, they can
charge higher prices to hazel-eyed, red-haired users if they want...

Now, that said:  If a vendor chooses to put its wares into home video
distribution, they really have no say about who buys--particularly if the
fulfillment is by a third party such as amazon.  We have had instances
here in which we've attempted to score home video stuff via amazon, only
to be informed that, as an institution, we have to pay more (in these
cases, fulfillment is via the vendor).  Can't do much about it.

gary handman

> That site Scott indicated looks interesting. However, I have a basic
> question.
>
> Isn't it illegal to make a special price for one group of customers? As I
> recall, the institutional price does not in fact always include PPR.
>
> Individual purchases disk for reasonable price but waives legal right to
> use it in teaching.
> Institution purchases disk for 10x the reasonable price,  or more, but
> does not have to waive legal right to use in teaching.
>
> Is that right?
>
> Judy

Director
Media Resources Center