Kind Videolib-L folks,

I have what I think is an interesting question for you this morning.  Apologies
if this issue has been discussed ad nauseam before.  I have not searched the
list archives for possible answers to this dilemma.

I oversee the Media collection in our library, and we have recently opened the
doors to our new Learning Commons, equipped with the latest and greatest
technology we could afford.  Our Learning Commons consist  of a wide open
space, with couches, chairs, computers, tables, nooks, and plenty of 40-inch
wide screen monitors.  A faculty member recently placed a couple of our DVDs on
closed reserve, and asked if his students could watch them on one of the
monitors in our Learning Commons (where the seating is more comfortable, and
they could grab a snack from our café with the movie).

Before we had a Learning Commons, use of our Media closed reserves was limited
to the Media area, where we have a dedicated viewing room with all the
necessary equipment.

Would we be in violation of copyright laws if we allowed our students to watch
our closed reserves in the Learning Commons instead of our Media viewing room?

I look forward to your thoughts on this matter.

Respectfully,

[cid:image001.gif@01CBB315.2AF73400]

Antonella Ward
Multimedia Support Librarian/Porter Henderson Library
Angelo State University
Member, Texas Tech University System
ASU Station #11013
San Angelo, TX 76909-1013
Phone: (325) 942-2313   Fax: (325) 942-2198
antonella.w...@angelo.edu<mailto:antonella.w...@angelo.edu>
"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or
we know where we can find information upon it."
(Samuel Johnson)

<<inline: image001.gif>>