Dear Anotella,

Answering the specific question: if the professor is present and the
screening can *only* be seen by the students in the class, I don't see a
problem. But if it's open space for everybody and/or he's off downing jello
shots, it does violate PPR.

*If* it's film studies or any feature film and forgive me for the following,
for this is a criticism of the teacher and not you:
*
*
What kind of *&^#%$ teacher (and this is why I suggest you should check his
alcohol levels) shows film in an open space where there's continuous noise
interruptions and temptations of pizza and coffee from the cafe??? What kind
of film experience needs comfy chairs? (a Monty Python reference, by the
way.) Cinema, like any art, has the ability to change lives, but it's a lot
tougher when somebody's shouting across the room to get them a latte or toss
them a book. Was Kane's dying words, "Earbuds?" Did Rhett Butler actually
say, "Frank, my dear, let's go to Birmingham?"

Films should be seen in a dark room and the only sound should be coming from
the speakers. Trust me, Martin Scorsese's screening room does not have a wet
bar.

So, the answer is no, for so many, many reasons.

Best,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128