From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Rosen, Rhonda
J.
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 1:48 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] notice to faculty re video/dvd acquisitions

Hi everyone,

For the academic university crowd....

I'm curious as to how you notify or if you notify faculty who request
that the library purchase a video/dvd.

1.  Do you notify the selector when the item has come in? We send a
notice to the requestor when it's catalogued and ready for checkout.

                1a) Do you only notify the selector when it is a rush?

2.  If you have Faculty library liaisons in each department, do you
notify them of new media in their subject area?

                2a) if so, do you ask them to spread the word

                2b) if not, do you notify the department at large by
sending a mass email t to all the profs? No, we leave that in the hands
of the librarian selectors.

3.  Do you notify librarian subject selectors and ask them to forward on
the notification?  Yes, they forward to the faculty who they think would
be interested and sometimes to the entire department.

4.  Do you rely solely on an online newsletter or monthly acquisitions
list for books and media in one? No, we have a new acquisitions list in
our OPAC, but that is only for those who want to see what's new.  We try
to target the faculty through the library selectors.

5.  Alternatives?

Thanks for any responses,

Rhonda

Rhonda Rosen| Head, Media & Access Services
William H. Hannon Library | Loyola Marymount University
One LMU Drive, MS 8200 | Los Angeles, CA 90045-2659
rhonda.ro...@lmu.edu| 310/338-4584|
http://library.lmu.edu <http://library.lmu.edu/>

 "You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where
people sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of
employing wild animals as librarians."
--Monty Python