Rhonda,
I notify potential users about new releases when I receive announcements from videonews or directly from distributors. If we get requests to purchase, we either do so or place the title(s) on a wish list. Once a title is purchased, the requestor(s) and potential users are notified by the cataloger. Only one or two departments have faculty liaisons for the Media Library, and those have been only modestly successful over the years. We work most effectively with individual faculty members. Department chairs are not always keen on doing our homework for us. Our main library acquisition folks don't generally get involved in media purchases, but with streaming packages, that has changed somewhat. Our new database is supposed to handle notifications of new acquisitions, but I don't think it works yet. Prior to the new database, we posted monthly lists of new acquisitions on our website, but I doubt many people used them. Our circulation staff are good about spreading the word, as Gary described, when patrons come in.
Hope this helps,
Gail