Hi Rhonda

Berkeley currently has access to ASP's Theater on Video, which was
licensed via the California Digital Library as a consortial buy...I was
not a strong supporter, but I was out-voted.

We also have ASP's Ethnographic Video collection, purchased by our Anthro
librarian with $ from a major grant...I was not a strong supporter, but I
was out-voted.

I have gone on record on videolib and elsewhere regarding my serious
qualms about buying into curated or pre-assembled collections.  These may
be useful in some institutions, but at a place like Berkeley, even with
rigorous publicity, only a tiny fraction of the collection will ever be
used in any respect.  That's just the way it goes here... I floated the
ASP Dance collection past dance faculty awhile back, and they pretty much
sniffed it away: the stuff they wanted simply wasn't represented and they
weren't about to shuffle the syllabus to fit the collection.

In hard financial times particularly, seems to me that focused selection
that pays careful attention to short and long term need (rather than a
grab-bag strategy)is the only responsible way to go.

Gary Handman

By the way, I really respect and like ASP, I just wish they allowed
pick-and-choose options regarding their collections.

> Hi everyone,
> So, when you are looking at whether to purchase one of the streaming
> packages, Alexander St., Films Media group, or whatever, what are your
> justifications ?
>
> Do you look at all the usage stats of each title included in the package,
> and if so,  how many uses and of how many of the titles is considered high
> enough to justify purchasing?
> What criteria are you using to persuade powers that be that they are
> worthwhile?
>
> Just curious,
> rhonda
>
> Rhonda Rosen| Head, Media & Access Services
> William H. Hannon Library | Loyola Marymount University
> One LMU Drive, MS 8200 | Los Angeles, CA 90045-2659
> rhonda.ro...@lmu.edu| 310/338-4584|
> http://library.lmu.edu<http://library.lmu.edu/>
>  "You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where
> people sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of
> employing wild animals as librarians."
> --Monty Python

Director
Media Resources Center