Vicky,

Could you do something like get a count of your popular title videos and your
expensive documentaries, then do a random sampling of how much it would cost to
replace a few titles in each area with DVDs, and then extrapolate?  So, for
example, you would tell the Powers That Be:  we need to replace 1000 popular
titles at $15.00 each, and 300 documentaries at $200 each, for a total of
$75,000?

NB: I am not *at all* knowledgeable about the cost of getting copyright
permission for conversions, but I suspect ordering new DVDs would be cheaper,
and a lot less work.  You could, of course, use that same formula idea getting
permission for a random sampling of tiles & then extrapolating---but be sure to
include the time you spend working on the copyright issue!

Best of luck,
MM

Margery L. May
Acquisitions Administrator
Wesleyan University Library
Acquisitions Department
Olin Memorial Library
252 Church Street
Middletown, CT   06459
860-685-3834
m...@wesleyan.edu

"...there is no question at all but that good and laughter and justice will
prevail."---Archbishop Desmond Tutu